[geeks] Need expert opinion

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 13:23:17 CDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:41:33 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker
<adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> "
> " Anyone have any idea what might happen if two processes tried to
> " HUP the same pid at the same time?
>
> depends on whether the receiving proc resets its sighandler fast
> enough to properly catch the second hup.  you'll either get the
> intended response or [i think] termination.
>
> " I had a situation where two scheduled cron processes were trying to
> " HUP the same httpd when rolling the logs.  The cron entries were
> " for the same times.  :-/
>
> oopsie...

Hmmm...this is Solaris.  I was speculating on the cause of a
huge decrease in traffic (24K hits/day to 4K hits/day across 4
servers), but neither of those results would explain it.  If the
httpd died, a) the load balancers would ship it to the other
servers, and b) our alarm would go off.  Even if "b" failed, "a"
would still happen.

I'm at a loss on the traffic decline...and with our clients, I can
forget "reasonability" [0].

As Dave would say, "Time to drink," or maybe, "Time to move."

=Nadine=

[0] Generally, I don't mind dealing with clients--it can be a
refreshing reminder that you are doing something that helps
someone on the other end--but these guys...oooo, boy.