[geeks] overlaying text onto video

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Nov 28 19:45:05 CST 2004

I need to overlay a copyright notice on some video footage of a yet-to-be-
released film.  I can get the film into any format desired (right now its
MPEG-1 ripped from VCD, ripped from VHS), but I can do raw AVI, MPEG-2,
Quicktime, etc).

Output needs to look somewhat like this (copyright notice in middle of screen):

http://www.mrbill.net/movie/copyright-middle.jpg

Any suggestions?  There's the "logo" filter in VirtualDub (Windows), but
I've tried for 2 hours and can't get it working properly.  ULead Video
Studio (30-day demo, Windows) has the ability to do a text crawl - but
its downloading at 20K/sec and will take another hour to finish.

Discreet Cleaner 6 will do it, but the demo is limited to 15 seconds and
adds additional watermarks.  I can't afford the full non-demo version;
this needs to be done with freely-available software.

I've got a WinXP-SP2 machine and an iMac G5 1.8Ghz available.  Ideas?

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas