[geeks] Sun JDS screenshots

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Nov 22 20:43:54 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 07:38:07PM -0500, Dave Fischer wrote:
> scott at doc.net.au writes:

>>> Did you mean "x86" instead of "Linux" here?
>
>> err.. yeah.  Last I looked we weren't intending to release Solaris 10
>> running on Linux :)
>
> Wasn't the original marketing spin that Solaris was some sort
> of product that ran on top of SunOS? Or was there something
> weird about that in terms of the first Solaris port to x86
> hardware?

The Solaris Operating Environment is/was SunOS + OpenWindows and maybe
CDE or OpenLook?

When they came out with Solaris 2.0, they retro branded SunOS 4.x (with
OpenWindows) as Solaris 1.x, but the SunOS under Solaris 2.0 was SunOS
5.0.  You can still see the SunOS version with uname -a. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org