[geeks] Coffee and electrical was Looking for Irix

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 21 05:09:06 CST 2004

Peter Corlett wrote:

> When we got some grey import Cisco gear at work, I took one look at
> the EU plug and cussed before setting to on an outlet with a
> screwdriver to release the protective cover since the pin spacing on
> two pin EU plugs matches those of the power conductors in UK sockets.
> This got some disturbing looks from a cow-orker who thought I was
> about to electrocute myself. Shows what he knows about electrickery.

Israeli outlets are similar without the protection. They are 2 square
pins pointing out at the top and a square lower down for ground. The
top pins are the same as the 2 pin Euro plugs, and most outlets made in
the last 10 years will take one. The newest thing since EU standardization
is using 3 round pins and newer outlets take them. You can now buy the
3 round pin plugs here and I use them when I can.

As part of the UK converting to EU standards, 240 volts has been lowered
to 230 volts and the newer outlets will take a 2 pin Euro plug without having
to use a screwdriver.

I remember having a nice chat with an older gentelman who ran an electronics
surplus shop off of Leichester Square (in London) around 1985. We were
discussing amoung other things, industry moving to (the PRC) China, and he
showed me a box of power plugs that were made there. In order to be legally
sold in the U.K. they had fuses made in the U.K. exported to China and
re-imported in the plugs. :-)

Ironic, because if you know the area, in a few years it became "Chinatown".

A couple of years ago someone gave me a UK ham radio magazine and there was
an article about the same shop.

> I stick to a bog standard kettle (the current one being a pathetic
> 1.1kW - I'm more used to 3kW) and a cafetiere. Another member of this
> list has reported hallucinations after drinking one of my more
> experimental brews.

My personal favorite is a vacuum coffee maker, but I haven't had one in about
15 years. The glass ones I had broke and the seals went on the metal ones.
Currently I use a french press, which is new because the one I had for about
10 years broke.

I also have a Russel Hobbs drip machine similar a Mr Coffee, but uses a
Melita filter. It's IMHO not as good as the french press and a lot harder
to clean (the coffee splaters up into the drip mechanism).

I don't think my coffee is that strong, but when Sambo was here he stopped
drinking it after a few days because I used about 4 times the coffee he did.

Geoff.
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem Israel gsm at mendelson.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
I may be an old fart, but I'm a high-tech, up to date old fart. :-)