[geeks] ping

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Nov 18 09:40:19 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I didn't get anything for my birthday, and you know, I realized later
> that I didn't really care.

I've been that way for a long time.  I suck at buying presents for
people, and most people suck at buying presents for me.  Mostly, if I
want something, and I can afford it, I do a little side work and buy it.
If I can't reasonably afford it, I'd feel awful asking anyone to get it
for me.

So, people buying things for me are left with very few options.  If they
don't get me anything, I don't have to stress about getting people
things that they'll probably end up hating, anyway.  I'd much rather get
together for a nice dinner or evening with people I care about on
Christmas or my birthday[0].  In fact, the best birthday I ever had, was
just spent having coffee with a really close friend of mine.

> For Christmas this year, I'd like to have all of the renovations on this
> house done, have it sold (or at least on the market), and be living in
> Houston.

That sounds like a good situation to be in.

[0] Which were typically celebrated concurrently in my house.
--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I've built my whole system with [-fomit-frame-pointer]
Elgin, TX        (   cause it was recomended...as I don't care if a program