[geeks] retro magazine fun (SysAdmin)

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Nov 17 13:05:37 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Apple never achieved that with the Apple II, probably because all the good
> applications (DBASE, VisiCalc, WordStar) all ran on CP/M which required
> a coprocessor card which was never 100% integrated.

Visicalc was written specifically FOR the Apple ][.  I know, I had it.
(Probably still do, somewhere...)

> BTW, IBM was not 100% on target for their cost cutting. The original PC
> had no floppy controler (it was an add-on) but it did have a cassette
> tape interface on the motherboard. Anyone here ever use it?

I used the cassette interface on my Apple ][e with a program that
actually let me feed in audio and it would capture a small sample
and save it to floppy for playback through the internal speaker.  It
sounded horrible, but it did work.

-DanD

# I believe I have no prejudices whatsoever. All I need to know is that a man
# is a member of the human race. That's bad enough for me.  -Mark Twain