[geeks] christianity and judaism

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Wed Nov 10 16:03:20 CST 2004

neither you nor i speak biblical hebrew.  (biblical hebrew had no
pointings; they were added by the moserites [sic]).
i never spoke hebrew because i am hearing impaired and even when i could
hear i couldn't distinguish all the sounds--particularly the vowel
sounds.  i can't even communicate in spanish (which is a simpler
language that i have studied).
i haven't read the bible in hebrew in years.
but i do remember my studies then and how to read a lexicon.

the qal stem for kippur (three radicals, right) means "he covers"
whereas atonement has the concept of taking away.
yom kippur provided a sacrifice that covered sins for a year (the blood
of bulls and goats cannot take away or atone for  sin) and points to a
day when sin/s will be taken away (as far as the east is from the west).

>Again, I don't see how this supports your claim of a covenant.  Any and

all are welcome to believe and worship, but that doesn't require a
covenant.

this is a distinction without difference.

>Just out of curiosity, why do you keep including Nebuchadnezzar in your

list of righteous gentiles?

because neb. became a "righteous gentile".
after his experiencing the authority of god though seven years of
"insanity" (as one writer described it), there was a dramatic change in
his lifestyle evidenced by his proclamation concerning the god of daniel
and the storing of the temple and palace ornaments from public view.
(his grandson had to drag them out of storage to profane them.)

concerning the covenant.  i understand that there is one covenant that
god makes with people.  that one covenant has terms relevant to the
situation.  the expression (of the covenant) which was given to adam is
different than the one given to noah which is different from the one
given to abram(, and down through the remaining expressions of the
convenant).  the expressions change but the covenant remains the same.

the "cutting of the covenant"  of the "covenant of the pieces" that you
mentioned is to me this is the most precious of the expressions of the
covenant.  in it, abram is guaranteed to be a blessing to all nations.
the psalmist speaks in these terms: "let the peoples praise you, let all
the peoples praise you" (67).  zechariah speaks of a day when all the
inhabitants (jew, goy, greek, barbarian, man, woman, old, young,
whatever) of the earth will journey to zion to praise god together.
this covenant of pieces also expresses the exclusivity of the covenant
in its application to men and to praising   god.  since the covenant
belongs to god and is maintained by god, he can extend it to whomever he
wills.

please realize that i am not trying to give you a "hard time" but am
trying to explain in as gracious terms as i can muster and having the
desire that the prophecy of zechariah be fulfilled in my lifetime.