[geeks] christianity and judaism

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Wed Nov 10 09:24:29 CST 2004

>In Judaism, that is not true. One accumulates "good guy" points for
your thoughts and deeds while you are alive.

this is not what the old testament nor biblical judaism teaches.
(i suspect that you are referring to judaism as practiced today.  i am
less conversant with this aspect but i know that what you have said is
not believed by all jews today.)

the old testament teaching is that "the just shall live by faith"!
of abraham, it is written that "he believed god and it was accounted to
him for righteousness".
daniel was called a righteous person during his lifetime (as well as
after).

yom kippur = day of covering
yom kippur was not a day of atonement.
yom kippur provided a covering until the day of atonement arrived.
yom kippur foreshadowed the day of atonement.

>In Judaism...<snip>...When you die you go to an afterlife which may
better be descibed as different levels of heaven

this was not the teaching at the time of jesus of nazareth.  his
depiction of the beggar and the rich man shows two jews it the
afterlife: one in a place of pain and torment (definitely not a "lesser"
heaven) and the other jew in a better place: described as abraham's
bosom in some translations).

there is a great deal of difference between judaism as designated in the
old testament and what it became later.

>The concept of an agreement between non Jews and G-D, aka the "new
testment" was invented by an exJew (Saul of Tarsus) who went to Rome to
preach Christianity. It has nothing to do with Jews or Judaism nor the
original Christians. He changed his name to Paul and fouded the Pauline
church which is Christainity as we know it today.

this is a lengthy discussion and i cannot "boil it down" very well.
enough of a proof is that the old testament is full of non-jews who
became followers of god (before and during the jewish "era".)  amoung
those before the jewish "era" are noah, enoch, and even abram/abraham
himself.  during the jewish "era" is rahab, ruth, naaman, nebuchanessar
(sic), the sailors, ninevah.
the agreement/covenant between non-jews and god has always been in
place.
what is called christianity is the continuation of that agreement.