[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwedfor4more years

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Wed Nov 10 07:09:37 CST 2004

the actual practice is the imitation of jesus of nazareth who, when he
was tried, did not defend himself.

there is no dualism is the teachings of the bible/biblical
judiaism/christianity.
yes, there is good and evil but they are not equal in strength or extent
while dualism is two opposing forces of equal strength and extent.

the thought of a heaven or hell to be gained only after death is foreign
to both biblical judaism and biblical christianity.  for instance, the
keeping of jewish feasts was out of thanksgiving to god and *not* fear
of god.  while fear is an effective motivator, it is defective (don't we
all hate it when our boss threatens us?).  the imagery of god in the
bible is pointedly that of a parent with a child.  this is a
relationship that is brought out of love.  (did you ever experience
discipline as a child from a parent/parnet figure and years later
realize that it was a good thing?  did you ever get a toy or an ice
cream when you asked for it?  did you ever have a problem that a parent
"sat beside" you and helped you through it?)

there are those groups who are termed "pacifists" (sic).  they provide a
balance and a caution against charging into war needlessly, etc.  among
christian and so-called christian groups are the anabaptists, the
friends (aka, quakers) but historically and amoung the majority of
christian and so-called christian groups the following is true.

* a christian is permitted to be in the armed forces and law enforcement
agencies and are permitted to take human life  without any condemnation
(for a justified act).
* a christian is permitted to work as a district attorney, serve on a
jury, bring witness against a person, even work as an executioner.  all
of these activities have resulted in the loss of life.
* self-defense and protection of those unable to defend themselves

unfortunately, the theory that one must earn god's pleasure has crept
into biblical judaism/christianity.  but the old testament knows nothing
of this theory.  instead abraham is called the friend of god during his
lifetime.  jacob is called the prince of god during his lifetime.
david, in spite of his failings and bad decisions, is called a man after
god's own heart.  even one of the thieves on the cross with jesus of
nazareth was told before his death that he would be in paradise with
jesus.  (in fact, the thief on the cross is a most pointed example
because he could do nothing, hanging on a cross, to earn god's
favour--he was literally "nailed to the wall".)