[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for4 more years

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Tue Nov 9 11:28:15 CST 2004

the hebrew word translated "kill" in the 10 commandments should be
translated "murder" for 21st century american audiences.

the hebrew word includes the planning, that is, pre-meditation, of kill
someone.
this meaning sets the hebrew word apart from "killing", that is,
man-slaughter (which is also described in the old testament and does not
require captial punishment), self defense, and killing during a
war/military conflict.

(the translators and people of england in the late 1500s & 1600s
understood this.  the four centuries inbetween cause the confusion.)

poisoning a well has the same *intent* as murder: premeditated act to
kill.
understanding the importance and rarity of a good well in that part of
the world sheds light on the reasonableness of this commandment.
it is repeated that horse-stealing in the old west was rewarded with the
death penalty.
the reasoning is the same.

killing as a result of self-defense, as stated, should be self-evident.
though, in the new testament, there are specific circumstances when
christians are prehibited from even self-defense.

concerning the old testament, one of the most warm-hearted words in the
bible is the hebrew word, kased.
it is quite remarkable in the depth of compassion that is expressed.
so much so, that an understanding of the word and its ramifications, one
would be hard-pressed to come to the conclusion that the old testament
was any less than the new testament.

(brown-driver-briggs, gesinius, et al.)