[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 10:12:15 CST 2004

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:09:49 -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez
<lefa at ucsc.edu> wrote:
> > Of course, "morals are relative" are one position, which
> >moral
> > absolutists of one kind or another, would disagree with.
>
> I just was alarmed that in this election with the milliard
> of more pressing issues a lot of people decided to vote
> for a "moral agenda" whatever that is. Especially things
> like gay marriage and what not, which IMHO is none of the
> government business...

Uh, what part of baby-boomers aka extremely large voting
block, surprises you with this concentration on morals?
Remember, you are talking about the generations that
liberarted Europe from the fascists and grew up with the
US standing up to the nuclear ham-handedness of the
USSR.

Yes, that's a simplistic viewpoint, but they're now staring
their mortality in the face and they don't like the notion
that the world is now "relative" from a morals point of view.

I do not think we will see any real pluralism (which is
really the only way to undermine the two party system)
in the US until we are on the backend of the boomer curve.

> As I said it is going to be interesting.... I still miss
> the 90's though... :)

Well, of course, spend spend spend is always more fun
than digging in and carefully planning for the future.  I'm
quite sure this viewpoint would be echoed by many many
dot.bomb yuppies throughout the nation.  Certainly, I miss
the economic boom, I think the fall-out is a largely as a
result of short-term thinking on the part of both government
and companies.

=Nadine=