[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Nov 8 21:39:59 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 06:21:45PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:31:34 +0000
>  Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >I hear Mr. Moore is blaming the "upset" on the religous
> >folks in "fly-over" states...
>
> I am an optimist, so I see this actually as a good thing.
> Maybe the DNC will finally grow a pair and kick McAullife
> and the rest of spineless wimps and get an actual liberal
> platform... just "not being Bush" proved to not be enough

It always amazes me to hear Democrats praise Bill Clinton.

"Most popular President" ? -- got less total votes than Gore or Bush
did in 2000, or Kerry or Bush in 2004

"effective, etc." -- forced at penpoint to sign welfare reform and
other things brought to his desk by Republicans

"shining beacon of the Democrat party, etc." -- when Clinton became
President, Dems owned the House, the Senate, and many governorships;
they have since lost House and Senate seats, and have less
governorships than before

Who installed McAuliffe?  Bill and Hillary.

> believe it is fair... if that happens to be what the
> American people agreed with. I do, however, find alarming
> the rise in the whole "moral based" voting as "morals" are
> relative and hard to point as real policies or issues.

Of course, "morals are relative" are one position, which moral
absolutists of one kind or another, would disagree with.

> >Some folks are not taking this well...
>
> I guess Bush is to liberals what Clinton was to certain
> elements of the Republican party. In any case, I don't

The recent trial balloon of "Clarence Thomas as Chief Justice" might
have been calculated to drive already-depressed Dems to refill their
liquor cabinet.

> think the office of the president is that important when
> dealing with a "decoupled" system like the US. I do not
> like however when the house, senate, presidency and soon
> judiciary are tilted towards the same political party, as
> it tends to render the whole process a bit powerless to
> check itself.

In two years there is another election, where 1/3 of the Senate can be
replaced and some of the House as well... so if they screw up, there
can be some indication of displeasure relatively quickly.

--Patrick