[geeks] XM or Sirius Radio

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 30 20:20:43 CDT 2004

Sun, 30 May 2004 @ 15:17 -0500, Judy Loomis said:

> It's my husband's birthday and they just killed the last hard rock station
> in Dallas.

Was that one of those Clear Channel type executions?

Radio is being ruined nationwide.

Clear Channel isn't to blame for local problems, but they seem to be a
common destroyer of good radio elsewhere.

Someone in the AM industry tells me that by contrast, Clear Channel is
the only reason AM hasn't died.

That's not saying much though, since AM has degraded so much.

> SO, I thought a geeks list would be the perfect place for
> opinions on whether XM or Sirius is better and/or which brand of equipment
> to buy.

A guy I know has XM and he loves it.

However, don't believe the hype about satellite service: it's spotty.

Most of the good signal comes from local metro broadcast towers not the
satellites, so check and make sure the area where you'll use it has good
local broadcasting of XM signals.

The satellite signal alone isn't near as good, which means you can lose
it when you are between large cities.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]