[geeks] what the? (disk space oddness)

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat May 29 04:52:28 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 08:56:39PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Yeah, wonder what the OS makes of that partition table - if you wrote to the "other" partitions, it could get hosed fast, I reckon...

The OS doesn't care what's in the partition table (as long as it's
"valid", and overlapping slices are certainly "valid").  You're correct
though that if you tried to mount the other partition (which is of
course the same filesystem) then you would hose things fairly quickly.

This changes with the new disk labels (EFI) which are currently only
used on disks > 1Tb - these do not support overlapping slices.

  Scott