[geeks] Vacuum!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 25 10:44:13 CDT 2004

Mon, 24 May 2004 @ 21:28 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Yup.  The plastic latch bar in the end of the wand wore/broke out.  I
> just repaired that by making a sheetmetal patch and riveting it in.
> I've also had to take apart and retension the power cord reel once,
> replace the power head once because the motor siezed, and replace the
> locking pedal on the replacement power head (cannibalizing the old head)
> because both pivot ears sheared off it.  And the power switch is giving
> trouble.

Personally, I find most vacuums on the market today are crap.

They have far too much plastic, they can't handle abuse, and they are
usually too fancy for basic needs.

One of my favorite workhorse vacuums was an 80s model Royal.  Simple
metal canister, nice and small, and very powerful.  It did get a little
hot, but mine was only abandoned when it completely wore out.  I think
that took like 12 years.

Some of the Kenmore's are not too bad, but their carpet sweeper needs
improvement, and gets rickety in about two years.  It never fails, it
just gets loose.

Of course, my grandmother has a vacuum that was purchased in the 1950s,
and it still runs like it was brand new.

They don't make them like that any more.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The grieving lords take ship.  With these
our very souls pass overseas." -- Exile]