[geeks] Moving disks from one machine to another

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 25 09:39:16 CDT 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Should I be able to take a HD that was installed on an E3K, throw it
> in a 420R, do a "boot -r" and have everything work?

If you have the all the drivers installed for the target platform, yes.
If it doesn't come right up, you may need to boot from an installation
CD, and nuke /etc/path_to_inst on the hard drive and replace it with
the copy the installation CD generates.

I posted pretty detailed instructions on this to SunManagers in late
2001 or early 2002.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."