[geeks] MySQL question

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon May 24 22:50:45 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:16:11PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:29:46PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> > if you have a chance, please do look at Postgresql.  Provided your app
> > can use it, it is a much better choice in many ways.  apologies if
> > this idea has already been put forth.
>
> This is another of those religious issues.  We (as in the Bacula
> project) have discovered that the Bacula database schema has to be
> substantially changed for installations using PostgreSQL, because
> certain operations that Bacula uses heavily are at least ten times
> slower on PostgreSQL than on MySQL.

Would love to hear more about this and see some sample code.  Maybe I
could run it past some PG gurus I know and they could suggest
something.

There are keywords you can pass when creating functions or views, that
can significantly speed things up (like "iscacheable" etc.)

For that matter, moving certain things into a function can make a huge
speedup as well.

Are you doing anything that resembles a tree or parent/child node
relationship?  I know a screaming fast implementation that is open
source for PG you could lift for your own use.

--Patrick