[geeks] Rackmount server recommendations

R. Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Thu May 20 10:14:53 CDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:55:15AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I need recommendations for rackmount servers.
>
> I'm in need (well, helping a friend look actually) of a couple of rackmount
> machines, 1/2/3U, preferrably around 1Ghz (but not essential), 512M RAM,
> 10/100 ethernet, IDE disks, CD-ROM.  Need to be able to run RedHat.
>
> His projected budget is around $500 each.  Unfortunately, eBay is *not* an
> option - I need to be able to point him at a web page and say "buy this and
> that".
>
> I've looked at Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, and Penguin Computing.  Any other
> vendors I should be aware of?
        [snip]

I'm not a customer myself but I've heard good things about:

 http://eracks.com/
 http://www.serasystems.com/

Both sell preconfigured systems with *BSD or Linux. That $500 price
point is going to be hard to make on new rackmount equipment though.

Maybe some retailer has previous generation inventory leftover but I
would bet they sell it off to liquidators or go the ebay route.

- Ross