[geeks] WTB: Cheap x86 servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon May 17 06:24:20 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/05/16 Sun PM 09:04:46 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org,  rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] WTB:  Cheap x86 servers
>
> (I'm helping out a friend here)
>
> I'm looking for a couple of 1U rackmount machines, 733Mhz-1Ghz or so,
> with decent RAM, CD-ROM, 10/100 ethernet, and IDE drives for as cheap as
> possible.  Anybody have suggestions?  Couple of desktops would be okay as
> well, if they're a good name-brand and I can put them on a shelf.

Take a look at:
http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/viewproduct.asp?ProductID=COM-D73301

Dell PIII Desktop w/256 Meg RAM, CD, 10 Gig HD for $179

Or, two Dell 400SC servers with some extra RAM/HD (from third-party suppliers) should come in under $1K as well (and be new, warranty, multi-GHz, etc.)...

> I'd like to be able to get both machines for under $1K if possible.
>
> Intel or AMD doesn't matter, as long as I can load Linux/xBSD/Solaris x86
> on them.

Dell 400 SC support Solaris x86, and I *assume* the $179 CSO dell does as well, but have not researched it.

> (Due to service/support/cost issues, these are replacing a pair of fully-loaded
>  SunFire 280R SPARC servers.  The 280Rs work fine, but my friend can't afford
>  the hardware support contract and would like to reduce his colocation costs)

Pity. Can your friend afford the rack space for two desktop boxes?