[geeks] MacOS is VERY impressive

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 9 19:29:13 CDT 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 07:52:48PM -0400, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> All I can say is that this thing ROCKS!  I am quite impressed with it...of
> course it's going to take a little effort to get my wife used to the new
> interface and some of the other changes, but she mostly uses it for e-mail,
> web browsing, and some writing...nothing very powerful.  I can see myself
> setting this thing up to do some distributed folding given all of the extra
> cycles it will have to spare (it's an 867MHz G4 with 640MB of memory and
> about 80GB of disk space).  I am very impressed...just thought I'd share.

I bought a dual 864Mhz "Mirrored Drive Doors" (aka "Wind Tunnel") G4 on
Christmas Eve 2002 - and its been on, pretty much 24/7, as my main desktop
machine at home since then.  I've maxed it out to 2G RAM, put in a second
optical drive (CDRW), installed the Apple kit with quieter power supply,
replaced the main fan with a Panaflo L1A.

I love it.  Running 10.3.3 right now.  I didnt even reinstall OS9 when I
did the last wipe-and-reinstall a few months ago.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas