[geeks] OT: Usenet and Carly Fiorina, was Re: Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 4 14:22:59 CDT 2004

Trying to move this to geeks, headers changed, but the mail list
software probably changes them back.

Tue, 04 May 2004 @ 12:36 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> > I know English is an imprecise language, but damn... some of you seem to
> > go out of your way to argue with points that no one made.
>
> That's a fine 'Net tradition!

One of my favorite quotes on this was from Gene Spafford:

    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -
    massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
    source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
    it.

> > DEC said that they would be able to increase the power of Alpha 1000
> > fold, over a 25 year period.  They seemed to be delivering on that
> > promise until Compaq/HP decided Alpha was too much of a threat to
> > Itanium.
>
> And once again, a superior design loses out to an inferior one marketed
> by an 800lb gorilla with tunnel vision.

In a recent issue of Costo's magazine, Carly Fiorina is on the front
cover, with a story inside that basically talks about how she saved HP
and Compaq, and how *she* saw the future needs of the industry before it
became obvious, and other excrement like that.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty