[geeks] TCF

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon May 3 17:12:03 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:43, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> For Power I just went to the hardware store and got the same grade
> (quality and look n' feel) of 110 V 15A plug and did surgery... are you
> sure your unit is 220?... Mine was 110 20A which has one vertical and
> one horizontal prong + ground.  All of the machines I saw in Dan's lot
> were 110-20A

Doh!  I just glanced at at and said to myself "Not standard connector,
must be 220" without looking closer.  You are correct, it's 110/20,
that's easy enough to deal with.

> My install of 6.2 ended up being a custom install with /usr on a 3GB
> disk in the bottom slot and / and everything else on a 2GB disk in the
> top slot.  My machine had a CD-ROM.

No cdrom on mine, and I'll have to pick up an AUI/TP adapter so I can
hopefully do a net install from one of my Octanes.  I've got 9GB drives
and LVD->50pin adapters flowing out of my ass, so storage isn't a
problem.  Hmm, I've got an LVD cdrom I can probably stick in there with
an adapter too.

> VGXT's should come with 3 RM3's I think and the right GE and DG boards.

I haven't even looked at what boards are in mine beyond the cpu board.
There's a whole lot of BNC video connectors here though.

> Is yours maxed at 256MB like mine was?

No, just 8 SIMMS of an as yet undetermined capacity and a whole crapload
of empty slots.

> You will have to pop in an IRIX 5.3 CD to FX your disks... then reboot
> and run the 6.2 Install as normal.

6.2 can't fx them?  Why?  I say them, I haven't actually stuck any disks
in it yet, but at least it has the sleds.

> Openssh is tricky to compile with MIPSPro because you have to do one of
> the parts (I don't remember which) as a different type than the
> others.. It has been too long (O32 vs N32)

No MIPSPro here, I'll have to gcc it.

> Make sure the monitor is Sync on Green and I think the 3rd connector
> down should go to the coax ports... or perhaps the second.

I have plenty of real SGI monitors, that shouldn't be a problem.

> My machine also had a FDDI board.

Lucky you :P  Of course, even if mine had one, nothing else on my
network does, so it wouldn't do me any good.

Cheers,

Caleb