[geeks] need a utility to log an shell session's commands

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon May 3 14:57:05 CDT 2004

Mike Parson wrote:

> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:06:14PM -0400, Nadine Miller wrote:
>

>>I'm sure one of you guys can come up with something off the top of
>>your heads, but for the life of me I can't recall what we used to do
>>this at $job-3.
>>
>>It's basically a process that you start at a shell prompt that records
>>all the stuff you do into a log file.  You can then use as the basis
>>for writing up documentation, or, possibly as a basis for automating
>>it.
>>
>>I want to say the name of it was 'script' but that's so generic that
>>trying to find the right thing via google or freshmeat is pretty
>>useless.
>
> It is script(1)
>
> $ type -a script
> script is /usr/bin/script

Thank you.  I guess a *doh* is in order.  I can only put it down
to stress (stupid sys admin tricks that I shot myself in the foot
with last night--it's not wise to pkgrm your VRTSvxvm install
while doing OS minimization :-/).

Screen is installed, but I think script will be more straight-
forward.

=Nadine=