[geeks] VRM Failures

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Mon May 3 14:19:44 CDT 2004

What's the deal with machines that don't seem to have separate
VRM modules?  Are they built in or not needed?  It sounds like
something that would be universally necessary but i've only seen
them on certain SMP boxen.

As i recall, acquiring the VRM module was the sole reason why i
had to buy HP's dual PPro upgrade for a Vectra, instead of just
buying the chip on the open market.  Ended up paying $1200+ to HP
when the actual chips were going for ~$300 at the time.

/KRM