[geeks] VRM Failures

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Mon May 3 14:12:43 CDT 2004

I considered it, but i wasn't 100% trusting of IBM's "LightPath"
diagnostics.  I knew that the RAID controller and array were
both fine, so if i swapped them things would be up and running
ASAP.

The extra server was just sitting there two units up on the rack.
 Easy enough.

/KRM

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:38:48 +0000
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> > From: Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com>
> > Date: 2004/05/03 Mon PM 02:46:04 GMT
> > To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> > Subject: [geeks] VRM Failures
> >
> > My DNS server at work died this morning.  VRM failure in an
> > IBM xSeries 340.  Actual CPU failures seem to be fairly rare
> > but these damn VRM modules don't seem to be nearly as hardy.
> > What exactly do VRM modules do?  I am assuming "Voltage
> > Regulation Module" or something of that nature...
> >
> > As for the DNS server, i had an extra identical sever lying
> > around so i just popped in the RAID controller and drives and
> > got DNS back up.
>
> Why not just swap the VRM? ;^)

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/