[geeks] TCF "Finds"

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun May 2 17:12:04 CDT 2004

Just a quickl list of stuff I am glad I got (with prices paid) today:

several "classic" unix books, some $1 each, some 1/3 cover price, including a
SPARC arch & programming, in assembler and C.

Some low-cost RAM (8x 64 Meg SS10/20 U1/U2/U30/U60/E250/E450) 2 for $5 and 2x
256 Meg DIMMs for $25/ea

And, the suprise of the day:

An Ultra 5 desktop, nice and clean for $70. Crack open the case before
purchase, and find a SUNPCi card (400 MHz) with 2 DIMMs installed, 2 DIMMs on
the MB (looks like 128 Meg DIMMs), and a 9 Gig HD.

The case says Series 3 on it... not familar with that marking (on the side
serial number plate.

Take it home, fire it up and what do I find? The on-board graphics are XL24,
and the CPU is a 400 MHz one, w/2 MB cache.

Not bad for $70. ;^)

Powered it up, all seems OK, but the monitor I have on it is locking the card
at 640x480, I'd much prefer 1024x768... Have to look into that...

Neat.

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net