[geeks] Need moving expertise

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Mar 2 16:34:02 CST 2004

Francois Dion wrote:

> I wouldn't go above about 2500lbs, maybe even 2000. It's only speced for
> a class I hitch and you might damage your tranny on a cross country if
> loaded at 3500lbs. You can definitely pull your bike on a trailer.
> That's not too heavy. You probably can load about 500lbs-1000lbs more on
> the trailer depending if it's designed for that. Most average hardware
> superstore trailers have a 900lbs rating at most. The Forrester should
> be able to handle another 500 lbs in the back of the car. Hopefully you
> have the sport springs. Keep an eye on tire pressure too.

No sport springs, but we have hauled a full trade show kit in the
back--probably 300lbs over me and the hubby who total around 450.

Frankly, the Forrester while nice in the snow, sucks on inclines
(I've heard some sport rally folks refer to Subaru transmissions
as "glass").  The climb b/w here and Tahoe with no load is
annoying, though doable.  We'll be doing the southern route,
and I really fear the long climbs with any kind of trailer.

> Some cars are better suited at hauling stuff, but of course, there is no
> substitute for a truck with a frame. I'm in the middle of a move myself
> (altough a few miles only) and I must say that my old 1991 Peugeot 505
> turbo wagon has got to be the next best thing to a uhaul.

Hence the investigation of the full size pickup--if it's rated
for a class 3 hitch, all the better. :-)

> Now back to your problem, have you investigated shipping a container by
> train?

Nope, didn't realize that was an option--suggestions for research?
(googling as I type as well).

Thanks--
=Nadine=