[geeks] Of Portmasters and Suns

Jeff Cole jeff at flambe.org
Fri Jul 16 18:25:09 CDT 2004

I obtained a Portmaster 2 off of e-bay. Loaded it up with the latest OS,
and ran a utility (Console Wizard) that turned it into a reverse
terminal server. I purchased what have been purported to be null serial
cables, hooked everything up, but, when I try to attach to the serial
port, nothing happens.

Here's the config for serial port 2

electrophobia> sh S2
----------------------- Current Status - Port S2 ---------------------------
          Input: 0                        Parity Errors: 0
         Output: 14                      Framing Errors: 0
        Pending: 0                       Overrun Errors: 0
   Modem Status: DCD-  CTS+

                 Active Configuration    Default Configuration  (* = Host
                 --------------------    ---------------------   Can
Override)
      Port Type: Device                  Device  (Security)
Device Service: Telnet at 6002             Telnet at 6002
     Baud Rates: 9600                    9600,9600,9600
       Databits: 8                       8
       Stopbits: 1                       1
         Parity: none                    none
   Flow Control: RTS/CTS                 RTS/CTS
  Modem Control: off                     off
   Modem Config: Configured              boca
          Hosts:                         192.168.0.203

    Host Device: /dev/network
  Terminal Type:
   Login Prompt: login:
   Idle Timeout: 30 minutes

When I try to attach:

electrophobia> AT S2
Trying 192.168.0.203 ...
Connected - Escape character is '^]'.
(wait for a very long time)
Connection Closed

Do I need null serial cables for portmaster <-> Sun communication, or
will regular serial cables do?