[geeks] I'm glad I don't live in the US!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 07:57:07 CDT 2004

> From: wa2egp at att.net
> Date: 2004/07/11 Sun AM 03:12:49 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] I'm glad I don't live in the US!
>
> That's the problem with all this homeland security nonsense.
> Our rights are being taken away under the guise of security.
> A friend of  mine has a great picture that he is afraid to show.
> He once took a canoe trip to see the Statue of Liberty and was
> greeted by a park ranger that said he was not allowed to dock
> on the island.  (I guess they wanted to make money on the
> boat trip from the mainland.)

No, I suspect the National Park Service sold a contractor (The Circle Line?) *exclusive* rights dock on the island - and part of the arrangement was that the NPS would enforce that exclusive right. And on the other side, I bet they contribute towards a small dock on the island.

Without such an arrangement, the NPS would (most likely) have to build an elaborate dock to accept *all* comers, including multiple cruise lines, and an indeterminate number of private/pleasure craft - with the end result being the Statue of Liberty becomes dockyard with an interesting centerpiece...

I'm OK with such an arrangement (if it is as outlined above)...