[geeks] Filling a gap for the Sidekick...

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Jan 27 10:33:07 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Nadine Miller wrote:
> The things that grabbed my attention were a) nethack, and b) sshd,
> then I thought, c) python/bash/sh/perl and d) bluetooth.

sshd?  What, you don't like the little thumb keyboard?  :)
I have found there are quite a few pre-packaged apps out
there and the package installer isn't too hideous.  I haven't
set up a cross-compiler yet, so I haven't run anything not
available as a package.  Sure, I COULD probably just install
a compiler right on the Zaurus, but why?  It would eat my storage
and battery.  It does have pretty decent battery life and the same
voltage, current, and polarity as the sidekick did so I'm going
to make a small adapter to let me use the sidekick's car charger
on the Zaurus.

> Obviously my priorities are straight.  I sooo longed for nethack
> when I had my Palm...(appointments and address book, how boring!

I have tried nethack for it.  Great!  I try to keep a rogue-like
game available to play on any platform.  I registered newthack
on my last pda. (Newton, which I still love dearly)

-DanD

# Unfortunate as it may seem, medical science does not fully understand any
# of the phenomena described above. However, it has composed impressive poly-
# syllabic names for them, which is surely the next best thing.  Cecil Adams