[geeks] E3500 Airflow...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 08:41:24 CST 2004

(From the digest)

Message: 13
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:21:48 -0500
From: "James" <james at jdfogg.com>
Subject: RE: [geeks] E3K airflow
To: "The Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>

> > Here's a good diagram of the E3500 (same as E3K except FCAL
> > instead of SCSI):
> >
> > http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E3500/spec.html
> >
> > Air sucked in the top, blown out the bottom sides.

> Well this just seems contrary to all kinds of things, like
> physics and the designs of typical datacenters. What were
> they thinking?

The way *I* see it, this server wasn't designed for a raised-floor data
center, it was designed for traditional office space. Most offices
don't have vents to blow up your server's skirt ;^)

Also, many folks have small heaters in their offices to keep their feet
warm (at least in the east right now ;^) so this is a little bonus!

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall