[geeks] E3K airflow

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Jan 27 01:28:00 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> If memory serves, air circulation in clean rooms works the same way -
> air is blasted _down_ into the floor plates where the scrubbers live.
> Man, you've never _seen_ dust-free computers until you remove one from
> inside a clean room.

Actually the clean rooms I have seen do not use air for cooling at all, a
lot of them rely on other cooling mechanisms like heat exchangers to keep
the room temperature as stable as possible (since many processes are
pretty temperature sensitive). The goal is to have as little airflow as
possible in order to keep the particles as static as possible, so there is
very little airflow in a clean room actually (there may be exceptions I
guess, but those are not rooms I have been exposed to, nor I do have the
knowledge on clean room technology). The air has to be recycled so that
people inside can breath, and so that some of the nasty stuff that gets in
the rooms atmosphere gets also evacuated.