[geeks] Filling a gap for the Sidekick...

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Jan 26 17:40:30 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Nadine Miller wrote:
> Not yet released, but something to look forward
> to, since it fixes some of the real issues w/
> the SK.

Very slick.

> I used a friend's Sharp Zaurus running Linux the
> other night, so now I'm debating on it vs. the
> Clie.  If anyone has used the Zaurus I'd welcome
> more technical opinions.

I picked up a Sharp Zaurus about a month back.  (SL-5500)
So far it's great.  Mostly I just play a few games and
goof with various software.  I've gotten kismet up and running
just to see how many wifi networks are really out there
(Answer:  TONS) but I've never connected to any other than my own.
(Yes, really.)  I tried OpenZaurus for a while, but it didn't
really give me much benefit and I had trouble getting some
software to work on it and I really missed Scrabble so I
flashed it back to Sharp's version.  My intent is to get either a
bluetooth CF card or the Aircable bluetooth dongle for the IO port
and piggyback it onto my bluetooth phone's (P800) GPRS
connection when I'm not in range of my wifi access point.
I should probably get this working over IR first since
there's very little difference except for not needing any
additional hardware.  I've also tested a bluetooth USB adapter
for syncing the phone with my desktop which will also let me sync
the Zaurus.  My original reason for getting the Zaurus was to
cover the gap not covered by my P800, but that turns out to be a very
small gap indeed.

-DanD

# "The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason."
# Thomas Paine