[geeks] PowerBook G4 - what is 'hot'

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jan 26 11:29:31 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Install the CHUD tools from Apple, then go into the system preferences,
> CHUD, and click "nap".  I see a 15-20degreeC temperature difference
> (lower) when I run my G4 CPUs in "nap" mode (e.g., they go to sleep when
> idle) and have not had any problems in over a month when doing this.

I'm pretty sure the Powerbook CPUs do this in OS X by default.  In fact,
it's the primary reason you can't run OS X Server on a PowerBook G4--no
support for nap mode (well, that, and other power management).

Also, I found CHUD impossible to uninstall once I wanted to get rid of
it for some reason that I can no-longer recall.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and