[geeks] Speaking of Mozilla.....

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Fri Jan 23 08:28:29 CST 2004

    R> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:52:17PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
    R> 	[snip]
    >> I'm glad the Mozilla folks are aware there's an issue, but this
    >> should have been resolved long since.
    R> 	[snip]

    R> You could always use a MUA that sucks less... http://www.mutt.org

Actually it seems that having separate delete/purge steps is a
"mainstream" MUA function these days.  Some of them visibly move the
message to a "deleted items" "folder", others just leave them in place
marked. Some do different things based on the type of mail folder you're
using.  A third step may yet be needed to ensure that the disk space
previously used is returned to the free pool, but that may also be
file-system related.

With most of my folders on both systems the "purge" process is still
pretty quick, but you still wouldn't want to be waiting each time you
deleted a message for the entire rest of the file to be re-written.
This would especially true if you're a fan of huge folders.

I would agree that a time-based purge would be appropriate, but that
would add another set of configuration options, and more program
complexity.

I spend time in both Outlook and VM (XEmacs), and both require two steps
to completely eradicate a message.

It may be a crutch, but I've been saved by this any number of times.

At least the MUAs I use show you, or have a an option to show you, the
deleted message headers so its obvious they're still there.  I haven't
used mail in Mozilla, but it doesn't provide any clue that there are a
bunch of deleted messages?

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator