[geeks] Garageband w/guitar

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 21 10:03:53 CST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:46:35AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:21:30AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> > We used to do two track (mono) on a Mac IIci with a Digidesign
> > AudioMedia 1 card and Opcode's Studio Vision back in 1990.... on an
> > 80 meg drive :)
> >
> > Fun times.
>
> Was that all it could do?  I would have expected any 68k chip to be able
> to handle more tracks than that, although, it obviously would need to
> soft-mix the additional tracks down to only 2 tracks going out.

I love old 68k platforms.  Especially Macs, in many ways, although the
mixture of short cuts on some machines, and most video accelerators
being undocumented is frustrating.

I want to make my own 68k workstation, and one of the things I want to
stick into it is a nice multi track digital audio setup.

Part of the goal is to have a computer that is all my own.  Another part
though is to pull off stunts that people say can't be done on older
machines.  Like multitrack audio.

Of course, if nothing else, there is always the amiga to point to.
Except, I never saw them doing digital disk recording type tasks on
regular machines like A500s or A2000s, but rather doing sample based
multitrack playback.  Did I understand it correctly that for mods to
work, they were doing the pitch shifting in software, but then the
mixing of samples was done in hardware?