[geeks] Re: BIOS & timezone interaction under Linux

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 14 02:47:16 CST 2004

Johnathan said:

"I'm not sure about Linux, but everywhere else this is a function of the
C runtime library.  The OS proper doesn't care about daylight savings
time, as it just worries about seconds after the Epoch; it's up to
userland code to interpret that value into something the end-user can
handle."

Speaking of which - did anyone else notice that the POSIX time_t counter
exceeded passed 2^30 seconds at the end of last week?

In anticipation of this event, I wrote a small shell script on my Powermac
to monitor the counter and at the exact second it hit 2^30 the system
started playing Wagner's The Ride of the Valkyries at full volume and
opened a Safari window displaying http://www.timecube.com

This would have been pretty funny except that I didn't realise that the
tick-over would occur on Saturday Jan 10 13:37:04 (UTC). Given that I
live in NZDT (13 hours ahead of UTC at the moment) I got a fair surprise
when my system roared into life at 02:37.04 on Sunday morning.
Whoops.

Regards,

Gavin