[geeks] NT print server question

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jan 7 17:46:55 CST 2004

On Jan 7, 2004, at 4:39 PM, Kevin wrote:

> Does anyone know how i can stop users from using a particular paper
> tray on an HP 4xxx series printer with NT 4.0 being the print server?
>  Linux/Samba could be used as the print server if it can't be done
> under NT.
>
> I want for one or two users to be able to use a certain set of trays
> and for them to be locked out to other users.

Can't you just create a printer with the trays selected and the other
trays listed as not installed and then give the users permission
through domain group membership.  Then create another printer with a
different set of specs and a different group permission scheme but
pointing to the same printer.  NOTE: create a printer in the MS
sense... i.e. a spool.

I think the advanced options can be changed on each one.... but you may
run into a problem with limiting certain trays (built-in ones).  It
might be easier to do this on 2000 but I don't remember.

Andrew