[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jan 5 23:12:08 CST 2004

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 @ 08:27 -0500, jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net said:

> A lot of it is horrible.  When I was digging around lots of programs did
> stupid things like reload graphics that were already in memory.  Ick.

I find too that there are still things like lot's of redraws and most of
them should probably not be done.

Memory use is way out of line too.

I have noticed too that Gnome programs almost never give the user any
control over memory use.  In fact, a lot of new software treats memory
as unlimited.

I wish all programs would let the user specify a limit.

Browsers are especially bad for this.  Mozilla, Epiphany, Konqueror...
they all eat tons of memory and don't give you any ability to limit it.

Mozilla and Epiphany don't even let you limit memory cache.  Mozilla 1.4
or 1.5 got rid of that setting.

I'd really like to know what on Earth they need with >100MB of
memory for WWW browsing anyway.

Nautilus in Gnome is another resource pig.  Mine is 100MB.  100MB of
*what*?  Again, no control to let you limit how much it uses.

Fortunately, you can kill it now and then and it will automatically
restart.

It does little good for browsers and file managers, or many programs
for that matter, to cache data if it starves your system of memory and
forces heavy paging.