[geeks] Good low-end AMD 64bit system?

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Fri Dec 24 21:34:04 CST 2004

The Asus A8V Deluxe is a good typical desktop board, but it is socket
939, so that means Athlon 64. You would be much better off in the long
run getting something like the SK8(N/V) with socket 940 (which means
you could go to the dual core Opteron's in the future), but they
require real Opteron processors which are more expensive. If you want
the true power of AMD64, you want the Tyan Thunder K8W, which is a nice
Dual board, but will set you back around $500, plus chips.

If you want the best machine, I would wait for Dual Opteron's with PCI
Express. They will be the best performing AMD64 machines. We are
waiting for these to upgrade our render farm.

We also built an Athlon FX machine based on the Shuttle SN95G5, and it
was fantastic (mind you we had a Quadro 4000 in it). If I want a quiet
machine in the future, that will be it. It's probably the smallest
AMD64 you can build. It's nice to not have to worry about adding all
the usual things. Mind you, I haven't tried running alternative OS's on
it (if you are sticking with windows, you will be fine)

shawn