[geeks] linksys befw11s4 as a simple WAP

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 19:11:35 CST 2004

My linksys WAP11 was destroyed by nasty weather (dont ask), and I'd
like to configure the befw11s4 I got on the shelf as a regular access
point. This befw11s4 is a broadband gateway with 1 wan rj45 and 4+1
internal network rj45.

I have a real firewall so I'm not going to use that. My firewall has a
zone I configured for the WAP11. I've been trying to play with the
various settings to get this going but apparently I cant even get the
wireless client to get a dhcp address.

I was kind of hoping there is a way to get the "wan" connector to act
just like the WAP11 (or one of the other, doesn't matter) and the
device to just act as a plain wireless bridge. I've switched the mode
from "gateway" to "bridge" but apparently this doesn't work like I
tought.

What is strange too is that in the store the WAP11 or 54 is almost
twice as much as the equivalent unit with gateway (which includes a
lot more hardware internally). I'll probably ebay me a pair, but in
the meantime, if anybody has some suggestions...

Francois