[geeks] virtual desktops and .xinitrc

David Cummings real.psyence at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:45:46 CST 2004

Ok, so I have found a way to do this. It uses wmctrl to set the
_NET_foo values for NetWM compliant wm's. basically in my .xinitrc I
have something like:

source /etc/profile
exec xterm -title xterm_one -geometry 105x17+0-1 &
sleep 2 && wmctrl -r xterm_one -t 1 &
exec openbox
exit 0

where -t 1 specifies the desktop(counting from zero) and -r allows you
to specify the window's title. the sleep is there 'cuz I have other
stuff starting like emacs and firefox that take time launching, so in
order to move them I have to wait 'til they've drawn windows...and of
course it has to wait until the wm is started so those values can be
set. Thanks again to everyone who responded and apologies if someone
already posted this...
-Dave

--
The way that can be named is not the way.