[geeks] Displaying DV video from FireWire

Atom rescue at port11.net
Tue Dec 7 16:20:12 CST 2004

Joshua Boyd wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 10:04:59PM -0500, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
>

>>I have this movie I have to edit and color correct in january. All the
>>footage we shot is 16:9 recorded on my DVCam.
>>
>>Here is the problem. When using the output of the camera on my sony
>>video monitor it will display the picture stretched. And the monitor is
>>not new enough to have a 16:9 button.
>>
>>I could correct this by having final cut pro squinch the image together
>>but that would mean I am outputting a 4:3 project. We want to transfer
>>the movie to 35mm so it needs to stay in 16:9 format.
>>
>>So here's my question: Is there some software that I could just use
>>firewire to display the video preview of Final Cut on my powerbook. I
>>will be editing the video on my desktop.
>>

>It shouldn't be too hard to write if Apple gives any DV->Quicktime
>examples.
>
>http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/QuickTimeMovieControl/QuickTimeMovieControl.html
>
>I think that may be a good starting point.  I think that quicktime is
>usually in charge of handling DV, wether in files or being streamed over
>firewire, and this program supposedly supports all quicktime streaming
>codecs.  Also, according to the comments, it looks like this program
>doesn't keep proportion when the window is stretched.  So, you could
>just modify it to keep the window proportion at 16:9, and it should
>stretch the incoming 4:3 video to 16:9.
>
>I would love to work out some deal to put this together for you, but I'm
>afraid I'm unlikely to have the time the way work is going, and what
>with the holidays.
>
>BTW, would a linux solution instead of a MacOS X solution be of interest
>to you?  I ask because I personally have needs of a similar program to
>run on linux and take DV in and display it along with status
>information.

An linux app would be cool. I could just have a dedicated machine
running to display the video and timecode would be cool too.
It looks like for this movie I will be renting a sony monitor that can
handle 16:9.

I will look into the specs later on tonight. Maybe it is fairly easy to
hack something up to work.

-- Thomas