[geeks] Samba help (more info)

Nick nick at pelagiris.org
Fri Dec 3 14:01:53 CST 2004

When I was fighting samba I wrote up the attached quickie howto.  It's
pretty simple, and works on redhat and debian, I havn't tried it on
anything else.  One thing to remember if you have an admin account with
more than 5 (IIRC) groups you have to use the latest kerbrose.
	Nick
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:36:45PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:05:47AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Have you seen http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/ch04.html ?
> > Didn't read it too closely, but I noticed it talked about what does and
> > does not work with active directory domains...
>
> I just gave up, did a forehead-slap, and realized I can make the Windows
> boxes speak LPR to the print server and not have to mess with Samba at
> all.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> bill bradford
> austin texas
Verify win2k administrator is in fewer than 10 groups
Edit krb5.conf and realms.
	krb5.conf:
		default_realm must be set (win2k domain name)
		realm must be created
			WIN2K.DOMAIN.NAME = {
				kdc = pdc.fully.qualified.host.name:88
				kdc = backup.domain.controller:88
				admin_server = primary.domain.controller:749
				default_domain = win2k.domain.name
			}
		domain_realm must be created
			.win2k.domain.name = WIN2K.DOMAIN.NAME
			win2k.domain.name = WIN2K.DOMAIN.NAME
Edit smb.conf (security=DOMAIN, no encryption, set realm, set workgroup)
	smb.conf:
		netbios name = Your Choice
		server string = Another descriptive string
		password server = pdc.fully.qualified.host.name
		workgroup = first_section_of_win2k_domain_name
		realm = win2k.domain.name
		security = domain
		client use spnego = yes (not required)
		Do not set encrypt passwords!
net ads join -U administrator
	will prompt for Administrator password (can spec another account)
net ads testjoin -p
	-p tells net ads to use machine password