[geeks] IBM pSeries disk brackets

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Aug 30 17:27:59 CDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> He's in .nz - HUGE INSANE PRICE MARKUP!

That's SOP for anything with an IBM logo on it.  But you do get what you
pay for.  Those expensive disks will be replaced by an IBM FE on-
premises within 4 hours if they fail any time in the next 5 years[0].  If
you don't need that sort of service, IBM isn't the right company to buy
from.  Sun is much better for the belt-tightening Unix crowd who can deal
with a little less hand-holding.

I guess that's why the gov't loves IBM so much.

[0] Or until you give up your service contract on the machine they live
     in or until IBM stops supporting the box[1].
[1] Big hint: They -just now this quarter- stopped supporting the
     RS/6000-530.  That's maybe the third or fourth model of RS/6000 they
     ever made.
--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of