[geeks] APC MasterSwitch alternatives

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Thu Aug 26 09:36:22 CDT 2004

I've been looking for alternatives to an APC MasterSwitch. These are
essentially smart power strips that can be commanded over
serial/ethernet to drop load to some ports, etc... intended for
remote reboot.

I need (well, want...) that remote reboot capability, but at $250 on
fleabay (and not having seen one at the MIT flea)... the price is
just out there. I considered getting more UPSs, since they're
actually a little cheeper and can often be commanded to drop load,
but they tend to drop load to everything or nothing...

Short of building one myself (it could eventually come to that,
despite my lack of ee), are there any alternatives?
-mKaegler

--
Michael Kaegler, Grid Programmer, Information Technology
Marist College,  3399 North Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

I used to work at a fire hydrant factory. Couldn't park
anywhere near the place.