[geeks] Good online Apple dealers?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 10:26:47 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/08/09 Mon PM 04:07:46 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] Good online Apple dealers?
>
> I'm in the market for an iBook/Powerbook, and am looking for a good
> reputable online Apple reseller (of used equipment).

<snip>

> I've got a budget of $1K, this needs to get me something 500Mhz or
> faster, with a decent warranty.  I need to have enough left over out
> of the $1K to upgrade the machine to 512M ram.
>
> Suggestions?

You can't squeeze that a little bit higher, could you? $1049 for 14" iBook with 1 GHz CPU, 60 Meg HD, 256 Meg RAM, Combo drive as an Apple Refurb (31% off list):

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72102/wo/PC3mguE4u92d3fHCyrxvrwxOXFm/0.0.0.9.1.0.6.7.3.5.1.1.2.1.5.1.0.5.0

or, if $1K is a hard maximum, $749 for an 800 MHz iBook, 128 meg RAM, 30 Gig HD, CD, 12" screen (26% off list):

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72102/wo/PC3mguE4u92d3fHCyrxvrwxOXFm/0.0.0.9.1.0.6.7.3.5.1.1.1.1.5.1.0.5.0

and finally, a 1 GHz iBook 256 Meg, 30 Gig HD, Combo, 12" screen for $949 (14% off list):

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72102/wo/PC3mguE4u92d3fHCyrxvrwxOXFm/0.0.0.9.1.0.6.7.3.5.1.1.1.1.5.1.0.5.0

I think the 1 GHz 14" system looks like a great bargain (esp. with that 60 Gig HD), but it does break the budget - esp. after increasing the RAM & adding an Airport Extreme card )an est. $150-200 in upgrades)...

My wife has the 12" 800 MHz/30 Gigs/Combo and it is a great little laptop - it just goes and goes... I wanted to up the RAM last night, but I couldn't find out where it goes (popping the keyboard only showed me where the Airport card goes ;^)... I guess I need to take a screw driver to the RFI plate under the keyboard, but I wasn't able to try that last night.