[geeks] ssh attacks

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Aug 11 13:59:19 CDT 2004

> On Aug 11, 2004, at 1:30 PM, Mike Hebel wrote:
>

>> I'm an idiot here but I can't think of how to do this using IPF on the
>> firewall box remotely.  If I try and it fuck it up I'm locked out.
>>
>> Would this work:
>>

>> block in quick on le0 proto tcp from $outside_IP to $firewall_IP port
>> = 22
>>

> I can't verify the syntax ATM, but yeah, that should block the
> $bad_guy.

Actually for some reason, probably default IP grokking somehwere, that
didn't work.

Thus I changed my ipnat.rules to include:

rdr $outside_IP port 22 -> $nonexistant_internal_IP port 22

Works like a charm.  Now I just have to make sure I remember not to put
anything at that IP.  I chose a different subnet for it on top of
everything.

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight