[geeks] ssh attacks

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Wed Aug 11 12:05:36 CDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Kevin wrote:

> Lately, i've been getting several ssh login attempts to accounts
> user, admin and test.  Mostly from European and Asian countries.
>
> Is there some type of automated worm out there trying to exploit
> an ssh vulnerability?
>
> Anyone else getting this crap?

I've been tracking this thing for weeks.  It's an automated probe tool
using known accounts.  I have some leads on the motive, but nothing
concrete enough that I'm going to mention here.

I *really* recommend that you move ssh to another port.  You'll take
yourself off the radar for 99% of the tools out there, unless they REALLY
want YOUR box.