[geeks] Sun Ultra 1

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Aug 8 12:56:37 CDT 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:40:08 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> I've used NetBSD/sparc64.
I have a U5 running NetBSD/sparc64 and NetBSD/sparc dual boot on
separate disks. NetBSD works well on this platform.

> I've run into problems with PHP in the ports
> tree not working, and the source code not building easily (I've since
> found out and then forgot how to fix that, but I think it had
> something to do with bad optimization flags).  That may have been
> fixed.
Yes, GCC is buggy. There was a file in the kernel source that triggered
a GCC bug also...

> I've also run into problems with DEFPA cards under NetBSD/sparc64, but
> obviously isn't relevent to you.
BTW: This is a fault of the fpa(4) driver. When I ported the PCI support
from OpenBSD/hppa to NetBSD/hp700 I found at least one source of that
problem. So fpa(4) doesn't work on hp700 also. Unfortunately I can't fix
this due to ENOTIME and ENOCLUE about fpa(4) internas.

> BTW, I think NetBSD/sparc32 will work on that machine, and it may be
> preferable to do so on a U1 (though I probably wouldn't).
Yes. You can compile a 32 bit sparc64 kernel and run a sparc userland.
There is no sparc kernel that can run on sun4u CPUs. The sparc for sun4u
kernel configuration is just a reach over to the GENERIC32 kernel config
of the sparc64 architecture.

> I intend for that to be my main hardware development platform (USB,
> PCI soon, firewire someday)
BTW: If you want NetBSD and firewire you may want to try the port of the
FreeBSD firewire code. There was somthing about this on tech-kern...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen